13th Annual NARPM Property Management Seminar
Coming up Tuesday, August 21, 2018!
Are You a Property Owner or Do You Manage Rentals?
You can’t afford to miss this seminar!
On Tuesday, August 21, 2018, the Oahu Chapter of the National Association of Residential Property Managers (NARPM) will present their 13th annual Property Management Seminar. This year’s seminar will be held at the Japanese Cultural Center 5th floor at 2454 South Beretania Street and will begin at 7:45 a.m. with check-in and breakfast pastries. There will also be numerous vendors showcasing products and services that will help you manage your properties.
The purpose of this day-long seminar is to educate people who manage their own property or who are considering coming into the profession. But, even experienced property managers can benefit by refreshing their knowledge, particularly since the laws are constantly being updated. Rental properties can be a great investment if managed properly. It is a tough job and, when not handled properly, can be a nightmare! Join us at this informative seminar to learn how to lower your risk and liability. Our educational seminar will provide you with some of the tools and resources needed to foresee, handle and possibly prevent emergencies and potential legal problems and to successfully manage your properties.
The slogan for this year is “Knowledge is Key.” To provide you with some of that knowledge, here is the line-up of speakers:
• Catherine Matthews (B), REALTOR of Callahan Realty, Ltd. will present the opening session on the Landlord-Tenant Code. Everyone who does property management should know the Landlord-Tenant Code inside and out. Some of the issues that pose the most potential risks in your business will be discussed.
• Richard Emery, VP of Government Affairs, Associa Hawaii. Have you heard about all the new laws that could potentially affect your business? We will get an update on these new laws.
• Anne Anderson, Esq. of Anderson, Lahne & Fujisaki will help us understand the difference between a service animal and an emotional support animal and how it affects our rentals.
• Jelani Madaraka, Esq., a Civil Rights Analyst with HUD will talk about the Fair Housing Law and Reasonable Accommodations and how to avoid discrimination in interactions with tenants and others. • Berton Hamamoto (B), REALTOR of Property Profiles, Inc. will discuss the current rental market and financial considerations.
• Sue Savio of Insurance Associates, Inc. will help you understand the various insurance policies to make sure you and your investment are adequately covered.
• David Chee, Esq. will explain the eviction process.
• Finally, our popular Question and Answer session, moderated by Carl Frazier (B), with three speakers will address any other lingering questions you may have. Bring your questions on other hot topics such as application screening, security deposit distributions, Disparate Impact claims or any other topics related to your property management business.
The cost for this informative seminar is $150 for registrations received by August 13, 2018 ($200 subsequently) and includes breakfast pastries, a 3-course buffet lunch, and a binder containing essential property management forms. The binder will include a copy of the Landlord-Tenant Code. It will also include the current Hawaii Association of REALTORS rental agreement and addenda developed by professional property managers. The addenda cover items such as pets, lead-based paint, house rules, maintenance and cleaning of the unit. Sample letters to send to tenants for breaking house rules, delinquent rent and more are also included.
Visit www.oahu.narpm.org for a registration form. For inquiries, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (808) 778-4824. Advance reservations are required. We will not be accepting walk-ins and/or on-site registrations. The seminar has sold out in the past, so register early! We hope to see you there!