Historic Homes Enrich Built Landscape Of Manoa
Manoa is a virtual showcase of the work of prominent architects, both local and Mainland-based, who have created a rich variety of residential structures that span more than a century and represent numerous design styles. There are more homes classified as “historic” in this neighborhood than anywhere else in Hawaii. However, the criteria that determine whether a structure is historically significant are diverse, and identifying the original designer or architect is not always possible or required.
The majority of Manoa’s oldest homes, whether classified as historic or vintage, are located in the lower part of the valley. Lands in upper Manoa were still dedicated primarily to agriculture into the early 20th Century.
Many of Manoa’s distinguished homes and large estates are associated with kamaaina families and business leaders whose first homes were generally located in or close to downtown or Waikiki. Later generations moved into the valleys as commercial development spread outward from the waterfront. Manoa was a natural choice given its proximity to the conveniences of town, churches, and schools.
The establishment of the University of Hawaii in 1907 was an important catalyst in the expansion of residential development in Manoa. Faculty and administrators often chose to live close-by. The Frank C. Atherton House located in the College Hill Tract and listed on the State Historic Register was gifted to the University of Hawaii by the Atherton family.
A home built for legendary University of Hawaii football coach Otto Klum on Huelani Drive has been placed on the market. Klum, who served as head football coach from 1921 to 1939 and is considered the most successful in the history of the University, is memorialized with the Klum Gym on the Manoa Campus. Built in 1928, the home was renovated over the years by prominent architects, among them the firm Ives & Hogan, according to previous owners. The original designer is unknown. Four years ago the present owners invested approximately $250,000 in renovations, opening up the floor plan and expanding living space. The gardens, which include rare plants and trees, and original natural stone patio and walls remain. The home is offered by Realtor Joy Barnhart of Century 21 All Islands at $1,450,000.
Two century-old Manoa homes, both on the State Registers of Historic Places, are also on the market — one, designed by renowned American architect Oliver Green Traphagen. Located on Aleo Drive, the approximately 16,000 square foot property includes a three story main house, a separate cottage, formerly the carriage house, and a studio/garage unit. The original home was a two bedroom, one bath Dutch Colonial cottage designed by Traphagen in 1900 for Benjamin Franklin Dillingham, who founded the Oahu Railway & Land Company and owned a tract of land in Manoa. Traphagen is best known in Hawaii for his public buildings, which include the Moana Hotel, Hawaii State Archives, Judd Building, and Kakaako Pumping Station. In 1917 architect William Furer FAIA rented the home and bought it eight years later. Furer remodeled and expanded it, as did his son Frederick Furer FAIA, also an architect and engineer. Both were scrupulous about retaining original design features. William Furer was a founder of the local AIA Chapter. Frederick was a proponent of preservation of Hawaii’s historic structures. His wife Gloria Furer was represented by Realtor Nancee Jenko Crispin of RE/MAX Honolulu in the sale of the estate to the present owner, also represented by Crispin, who has listed it at $2,695,000.
A 110-year-old home on University Avenue has been listed by Kahala Associates Broker-Owner Jeffrey Fox for $1,335,000. The Queen Anne Revival style home was built by Janet Taylor MacIntyre and her brother Malcolm who came to Hawaii from Scotland and lived in the home until 1931. Janet was one of Hawaii’s first female business leaders, rising through the ranks of the banking industry to become a Vice President of Bishop Trust. The home, named Hoaoluana, “house of leisure and comfort,” is nestled in lush gardens and retains its turn-of-the-Century ambiance although extensively remodeled in 1992.