Sign up for Hawaii home remodeling tips

Now You Can Build Accessory Dwelling Units On Oahu

Screen-Shot-2015-11-06-at-5.20Miles Kimhan
(NMLS# 364852)
President of CU Network Services

If you’re looking to earn some extra monthly income, you should consider building an Accessory Dwelling Unit. Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) allow homeowners to build a second house on their property for the purpose of long-term rentals. In September, the Honolulu City Council passed the ADU bill in hopes of relieving Hawaii’s affordable housing shortage.

ADUs are meant to be long-term rentals, with a minimum lease of 180 days. The ADUs can be separate or attached

to the primary dwelling. If you build an ADU, you or someone related to you by blood, marriage, or adoption, must live in the primary dwelling unit. Here are some frequently asked questions about ADUs:

• Who can build an ADU?

You can build an ADU on your property if your lot is over 3,500 square feet and in

a residential zone. However, if you live in a neighborhood with a homeowners association, you cannot build an ADU on your property.

• How large can an ADU be?

If your property is between 3,500 and 4,999 square feet, the maximum size you can build your ADU is 400 square feet. If your property is over 5,000 square feet your ADU can be up to 800 square feet. ADUs must include a full

kitchen, bathroom(s), and bedroom(s).

• Where can ADUs be built?

ADUs need to be built where there is proper infrastructure to support the additional housing units. The Department of Planning and Permitting requires that you receive approvals from all appropriate government agencies.

• Do ADUs need to have


ADUs on Oahu are required to have one on-property parking stall for a one-bedroom house, and two for a two-bedroom. Compact stalls and tandem parking are allowed.

• Do I need to get a special

permit to build an ADU?

Yes, you must get a permit from the Department of Planning and Permitting. You must

submit construction drawings, infrastructure approvals, and other documents listed on their website.

• How should I finance

my ADU?

There are a few options for financing your ADU, but your best option may be to tap

into your home’s equity with a home equity line of credit (HELOC). CU Network Services LLC offers a No Cost HELOC with a 2 week turnaround time and payments spread over 30 years. Contact CU Network Services LLC for information on their HELOCs. Call 783-8333 or visit their office at 681 S. King Street.

Open House Guide
Mortgage Rates