What $600,000 Will Buy You On Oahu
By Lisa Scontras
Wonder what you can buy on Oahu for $600,000?
With the median price of a single-family home on Oahu at $591,000, one Prudential Locations agent wanted to show would-be buyers a sampling of how much home you can buy in that price range. So, he generated this hot sheet of properties.
“These are properties from around the island and include single-family homes in move-in condition, luxury condos, vacant land, fixer-uppers and even some multi-family options,” says Neal Hafner, Realtor Associate at Prudential Locations. “The message we want to leave buyers with is there are so many different kinds of opportunities in today’s market something for everyone in any price range.”
Finding a great home is just an Internet search away. Hafner says the Prudential Locations website is easy to navigate and provides buyers and sellers with more properties listed for sale than any other website available.
Here is a sample of what Hafner found:
* Walk to Waikiki Beach from this three-bedroom, two-bath, one-covered parking stall, corner end unit condo with ocean views at 1717 Ala Wai Blvd. The pet-friendly building has a swimming pool, security, and low $593-a-month maintenance fee, which includes cable TV, water and sewer. The spacious 1,130square-foot floor plan is totally updated with custom wood cabinets, granite countertops, marble and wood flooring, and stainless steel appliances. The asking price is $575,000.
* Thinking outside the box? This seven-bedroom, four and 1/2-bath singlefamily home in Waipahu includes three rentals with three separate entrances. Live in one and rent out the other two to offset your mortgage payments, or rent out all three offering creative solutions for buyers who don’t want to stretch themselves too thin. This unique investment property is listed at $599,000.
* Located up from Liliha in Alewa Heights is a 5,627square-foot lot with two separate cottages perfect for a multi-generational family or rentals. Each house has two bedrooms and one bath and needs some major TLC, but these small fixer-uppers have big income-producing potential. A smart buyer can turn this property’s hillside setting into a winning investment. Currently listed at $599,500.
* For investors or firsttimers looking for a home with space to rent out for extra income, this Aliamanu home has potentially three living quarters: a four-bedroom, one-bath unit with full kitchen; a three-bedroom, two-bath with a wet bar area; and a one-bedroom, one-bath with wet bar. The 2,745-square-foot home is in average condition and needs some sprucing up, but looks out over the city, coastline, mountains and ocean. The property is listed at $599,000.
* Current listings on the North Shore include a listing in the Sunset area with the allure of a beach house. Hypnotic ocean, coastline and sunset views from this 2,032square-foot home are classic North Shore. The home has a large covered lanai, high open-beamed cedar ceilings, four bedrooms, two and 1/2 baths, and a downstairs unit with full bath and kitchenette perfect for a tenant or extended family. This quiet cul-de-sac location is just a short walk to the beach. It’s priced at $659,500.
* You can build your dream retirement home on a 64,938-square-foot lot across the street from Hauula Beach Park in Kaneohe. Priced right at $600,000, this golden nugget parcel is large enough for multiple homes.
* A contemporary-style 4-bedroom, 2 and 1/2-bath home in Mililani Mauka is only 8 years old and in move-in condition. The home features bamboo flooring, ceramic tile, crown molding, a security system, walk-in closets, sound system wiring and a fresh coat of paint, inside and out. The asking price is $610,000.
* Fit-for-a-king amenities can be yours at Trump Tower for $593,000. An ultra-luxurious studio with attitude and views of the city is steps from the white sand of Waikiki. Amenities include valet parking, in-room dining service, a fitness center, spa and infinity pool.
The list goes on with an updated three-bedroom, two-bath home in Temple Valley for $599,000; a cozy cottage in Alewa Heights with 180-degree ocean views that is being sold in probate for $600,000; and a vacant lot measuring 5,447 square feet in Kaimuki with an asking price of $595,000.
If $600,000 is not exactly your price range, Hafner advises doing a search at www.PrudentialLocations. com first to get an idea of what is out there. “Not only does our company’s website have all the properties listed in the Multiple Listing Service or MLS, it also includes foreclosures, new construction projects and properties that are For Sale By Owner,” he says.