BY LISA SCONTRAS
You’d think with the median sale price of a home at $625,000 ($311,750 for a condo) on Oahu, it would be slim pickings if you only have, say, $250,000 to spend. After all, if the median is more than $500,000, can you really expect to find anything decent for half that price?
What several of the agents at Prudential Locations found when they put together this hot list of great properties priced in the $250,000-and-under range was that home buying on a restricted budget can be a practical way to step up to homeownership.
“We found properties from around the island that include single-family homes in move-in condition, one condo with views of the golf course, one with a Diamond Head view, townhomes with two or three bedrooms, a studio in Makiki, even remodeled kitchens and baths,” says Russell Nishimoto,
Realtor and partner at Prudential Locations. “What this means to you is that you don’t have to give up on your dreams just because you’re on a budget.”
Finding a great buy is just an Internet search away, and the Prudential Locations web-site is incredibly easy to navigate. Check out Prudential Locations.com, which provides buyers and sellers with more Oahu properties listed for sale than anywhere else.
“Not only does our company’s website have all the properties listed in the Multiple Listing Service or MLS, it also includes foreclosures, new construction projects and properties that are For Sale By Owner,” Nishimoto says.
Here is a sampling of what properties were found:
* Located near Mililani Town Center and a nearby playground, this two-bedroom, one and a half-bath townhome at Nob Hill 1 has assigned parking and a remodeled kitchen. All together, the 812-square-foot starter home is listed at $256,000, fee simple. MLS# 1200740
* If you need an extra bedroom, check out this three-bedroom, two-bath town-home in Kaneohe at Mountain View Terrace, with an asking price of $259,000, fee simple. It’s on the ground floor and also has a large enclosed patio suitable for your own private garden. Plus a remodeled kitchen and baths – perfect for a growing family. MLS# 1202102
* Closer to town, this one-bedroom, one-bath is a completely renovated end unit at University Villa. Complete with an enclosed lanai and it is near UH, making it appealing to first-time investors looking to rent to a student. The unit comes with assigned parking and is in good condition. Asking $229,000, fee simple. MLS# 1202732
* In Maili, $232,000 (fee simple) will get you a big bang for your buck – a 7-year-old single-family home with 1,234 square feet on a 3,528-square-foot lot! This spacious, well-maintained home has three bedrooms, two full baths, bamboo flooring and stainless steel appliances. With plenty of space and a yard, this adorable home won’t last long. MLS# 1113596
* Check out this three-bedroom, two-and-a-half-bath townhome at Ocean Pointe. The quiet neighborhood is a
selling point as is the private yard, central air conditioning and the two-car, enclosed garage. Asking price $260,000, fee simple. MLS# 1200549
* Overlooking the swimming pool and Pearl Harbor, this one-bedroom unit at the Lele Pono in Pearl City is a fantastic opportunity for a first-time buyer. Next to bus lines and Pearlridge shopping center, the convenient location makes this fee simple unit a great find. Listed for $257,000. MLS# 1200335
The list continues on with a VA-approved (no money down) unit at Rainbow Terrace in Moiliili; a one-bedroom unit in Salt Lake with a view of the golf course; a pet-friendly, leasehold two-bedroom condo in Waikiki with views of the Friday night fireworks; and another single-family home in Maili, located just steps away from the beach.
And stay tuned: If your preferred price range is under $200,000, part two of this Home Buying on a Restricted Budget series, which appears in this section Sunday, May 13, will explore a surprisingly long list of unbelievable buys around the island.
For more information on any of these properties, call 808-377-4667.